Quaint and charming, Arrowtown is a delightful village nestled amongst peaks with the Arrow river running through it. Being just a short 20 minute drive from Queenstown, it’s close to many of the activities around the Southern Lakes region. The village is rich in history from its gold rush days, and one can even search for gold in the river! Arrowtown is pleasantly busy, with a myriad of cosy cafes, restaurants and gorgeous cottage accomodation. The colours of autumn are not to be missed in Arrowtown, where the village is transformed into a golden beauty!
Key Activities in Arrowtown
- Every year over the ANZAC Weekend, the town transforms into a hive of activity during its Autumn Festival
- Get a glimpse of the gold mining days with a tour through the Lakes District Museum & Gallery
- And when you are inspired by the museum experience, you can pan for gold in the Arrow River – a great experience for the kids!
- There is a host of family friendly dining; head to Off Piste Pizza after a hard day on the slopes, or for those with a sweet tooth, head to Patagonia Chocolates
- For a relaxed evening you can catch a movie at Dorothy Brown’s Boutique Cinema
- You’ll have renowned golf courses on your doorstep with Arrowtown Golf Club, Millbrook and The Hills to challenge even the keenest of golfers
- For the more active taking in the stunning Queenstown to Arrowtown trail (via Kawarau River & Lake Hayes) will take your breath away in more ways than one!
Our team on the ground in Arrowtown give us their favourite spots
“The Fork and Tap, a 150 year old, English style public house, Provisions Cafe is a must do. Slow Cuts restaurant has better burgers than FERGBURGER in my opinion!!! For taking in the sights, the Saw Pit gully walk/run requires a good level of fitness but is beautiful. Dorothy Browns cinema – luxurious seats, intermission, eat cheese and drink wine while watching all the new releases in 3D.”
Where to Stay in Arrowtown?
As such a quaint town in close proximity to Queenstown, accommodation books out well in advance, so we advise you begin your search for a holiday home early. Here’s our pick of Bachcare properties for your visit. Search for Holiday Homes.
Arrow Haven – Butel Avenue, Arrowtown
Arrow Haven is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom holiday home. This modern home is an excellent base for your next escape, with easy indoor/outdoor living, picturesque views and WiFi! Find out more.
Maytime Cottage – May Lane, Arrowtown
Maytime Cottage is a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom holiday home with Wi-Fi. This well appointed holiday home is a great base for your next escape, with fantastic indoor/outdoor living and peaceful surrounds! Find out more