Situated on the shore of Lake Dunstan and in the heart of Central Otago, Cromwell is known for its boutique shops, galleries and being home to some of the finest Central Otago Pinot Noir. The lake provides plenty of fun in the summer, perfect for boating, fishing, swimming and water sports. It’s within a comfortable driving distance to 5 epic ski fields and a 50-minute drive from Queenstown. Here’s our guide to the key activities and places to visit in the area.
Key Activities in Cromwell
- Experience Lake Dunstan – a tourist haven with facilities for yachting, rowing, boating, fishing, swimming, picnicking and camping.
- Renowned as the fruit bowl of New Zealand, check out the many roadside fruit stalls on your way through the town.
- Head to Goldfield’s Mining Centre to learn how the early miner’s extracted gold. Take a look at the mines and have a go at panning for gold yourself!
- The Bannockburn Walking & Cycling Tracks are perfect for a quick blitz on the mountain bike. Take in the many historical relics along the way, like the remains of the blacksmiths shop!
- The delights of Central Otago Pinot Noir are on offer when you take a local wine tour to the likes of Carrick Winery.
- Ready for some high-octane fun? Drive a super car, V8 or go-kart at Highlands Motorsport Park, which also features an array of fun for the family.
- Ski – you’ll be perfectly located to access Cardrona, Coronet Peak or Treble Cone ski areas.
Our team on the ground in Cromwell give their recommendations
Where to Stay in Cromwell?
With its heritage and history, Cromwell is positioned beautifully to be away from the bustle, but still easily accessible to the major attractions. Here’s our pick of Bachcare properties for your next Southern escape.
The Stone Temple – Inniscourt Street, Cromwell
The Stone Temple is an upmarket 2 bedroom 2 bathroom holiday house nestled next to Lake Dunstan and Old Cromwell Town… The 140 year old stone Gothic church has been converted into a luxury home, offering a unique Cromwell experience! Find out more.
Aurum Retreat – Aurum Court, Cromwell
Aurum Retreat is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom holiday home with a peaceful garden setting. The fireplace is ideal for cosy winter escapes, and the sunny deck is perfect for BBQ’s in the summer!