After loads of Facebook messages asking about the Cheese Rolls Recipe, we are delighted to share with you our favourite recipe that has been kindly gifted to us by the lovely Nikki & Jordan at Onespoon. We hope you enjoy these iconic kiwi treats as much as we do!
SOUTHLAND CHEESE ROLLS
If you spent any time in Southland or Otago during your childhood there is no doubt that you would have had a Cheese Roll. Sometimes referred to as Southland Sushi, cheese rolls are commonly found at a lot of cafes, served as snacks or delicious as dippers for soup.
Almost everyone has their tried and tested family recipe – many used onion soup mix and evaporated milk. These two versions of cheese rolls are a twist to the classic and use the same base cheese mix… with jalapenos in one, black garlic in the other, and they can be made without evaporated milk!
Black garlic is a caramelised garlic, slow cooked for several weeks, that results in a sweet molasses type flavour with tangy undertones, that will blow you away! You can’t find it in your average grocery store, but it is truly worth seeking out. (Makes 12)
3 ½ cups grated cheese (we used Smoked Colby The Fridge*)
75g butter, softened
2 Tbsp boiling water
2 Tbsp jalapenos, finely chopped
2 tsp black garlic, finely diced
100g butter, softened (for spreading)
12 pieces of white sandwich bread
1. Heat oven to 200℃ bake.
2. In a bowl add grated cheese, softened butter and boiling water. Mix together well with a
3. Divide the mixture into two separate bowls, add jalapenos to one and black garlic to the
other (you will need to do a little more mixing with the black garlic to combine
4. Spread jalapeno cheese mix generously over 6 flat pieces of white bread (getting right to
5. Roll bread into logs and place on baking tray.
6. Repeat for the black garlic cheese mix.
7. Spread softened butter over the top of the cheese rolls and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Flick oven to grill, and grill for a further 1 minute, until golden.
*Cromwell-615728028523152/” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>The Fridge is a Gourmet Butchery and Delicatessen in Cromwell and Alexandra
We’d love to see your cheese rolls if you use this recipe! So let us know on our Facebook post or comment your photo below in the comments.